Lineman TD

Lineman TD

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Are you ready for some football?!?!



There are a few distinct events that let me know we are ready for some actual football. Those events are the release of NCAA for XBox or PS3, SEC Media Days, and the Neshoba County Fair. People will say I can understand the first 2 because they are directly related to football, but how does the Fair factor in. The Neshoba County is an event much like game days in the South. The Fair is basically a warm up for people tailgating. If you have never attended the Fair it should be on your bucket list.

Ok, back to actual football(6 weeks from tomorrow we have college football).. With SEC Media Days over 2/3 of the way complete, we are getting ready for some actual football. I honestly don't read much that the journalist write prior to August because they are just trying to fill space up until practices start.

SEC Media Days

These college football coaches are smart men. You do not get to the position of being a football coach in the SEC without a lot of hard work and a lot of intelligence.  They do not get caught in question traps and most media don't ask inappropriate questions because a media credential is tough to get. It is a privilege not a right to have a media credential for SEC Media Days. With that being said the SEC Media Days is really pretty boring. You get a lot of coach speech, i.e.:

"We have some great senior leaders"
"We have some young guys that are really talented that we expect will come into their own and be major contributors"
"Our fan base is the best in the country and we love them"
"I haven't been around the players this summer, because you know I can't, but I have "heard" the players have been working really hard"

Every single coach at the podium has said at least one of the above comments if not all of them. With all the attention on SEC Media Days they have everything scripted.  The one thing you don't want is to provide bulletin board material for a rival or opponent.  Steve Spurrier is about the only coach that doesn't mind taking a jab.  He took one this year at Ole Miss.

I don't know if I was really impressed with John L. Smith because he seems interesting or if it was because I am just glad to not see Bobby Petrino.  I think it was more that I am just glad to not have to hear Petrino.  I think Bobby Petrino is a piece of ****.  He is a top 5 scumbag in all of sports.  My judgement of Petrino is not made from his most recent drama.   His history is bad at every place he has been.  What he did to the Atlanta Falcons organization, players, and coaches was cowardly and unacceptable.  I don't care how good he is at X's and O's the guy is a terrible human being.  Lawyer Milloy said it perfect about his most recent situation "That's karma".  Lawyer Milloy was a part of the Falcons team that he ran out on in the middle of the night.  It would not hurt my feelings to never see Bobby Petrino coach again.

Preseason polls are as irrelevant as pay phones.    I can't sit here and confidently provide you with a top 10, but I can tell you this.  When the dust clears at the end of the year there will be a SEC school playing in the National Championship.  The conference deserves that right until someone from another conference beats them.  I feel like overall the SEC may be as strong this year as it ever has been from top to bottom.  Adding Missouri and TAMU certainly helps that (I welcome both of those schools to the SEC and wish them luck).  The SEC West is going to be the toughest division in all of college football again, but I believe the SEC East could make a surge back into play this year.  South Caroline, UGA, and Florida all have question marks, but it would not surprise me to see one of them have a magical season.

I will be blogging tomorrow about Mississippi State and Friday about Ole Miss.  Thank you for reading and as always please feel free to provide me with comments, criticism, questions, etc. 




       

No comments:

Post a Comment