Lineman TD

Lineman TD

Friday, August 31, 2012

MSU Football Preview 2012




When I start thinking about where I am going to go with my predictions for Mississippi State my mind goes in about 20 different directions.  This is always the most difficult blog of the year for me because of my love for MS State.  I have been a fan of the school for as long as I can remember.  I have always made it known when writing this that I try to stay unbiased as possible but when you are invested in something it becomes difficult at times.   These are just a few of the thoughts I always have… I don’t want to say too high of a win total because I don’t want to jinx them, I may say a low total so they exceed my expectations, or I may not even make a prediction at all(at least not publicly).  If you are a fan of a team you have probably thought those exact same comments before.  I have thought long and hard about this blog. 

Going into this season I feel like this may be the most talented MS State team I have ever seen.  This team has countless explosive players, great experience, leadership at all positions, good coaching, and a mixture of talented young guys.  That is the formula to a really good football team.  Timing is the problem because Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, and even Auburn have great programs.  T he oldest sports quote in the book is “to be the best you have to beat the best” and this football team is right up in it.

I have talked about how hard it has been for MSU to go from good to great several times.  Dan Mullen has talked about it hundreds of times.  That extra little bit is the difference between 1 or 2 extra wins.  The players on every team put in a couple of thousand hours of training for that 1 play.  The Bulldogs have the talent to compete with every team they play, and if someone makes that 1 play the best case scenario prediction is reachable for this football team.

The defense this year will be top 4 or 5 in the SEC and top 15 or 20 in the country.  The defense probably has 7-10 guys that will get a shot at the NFL.  Key to the defense this year is to get off the field on 3rd downs.  Denico Autrey may be the solution to this with his pass rush.  A strong pass rush and a good secondary has led the NY Giants to 2 Super Bowls (MSU post here but Eli helped too).    I have a lot of confidence in this defense even if the offense starts to stall.  If the offense gets going and can keep this defense off the field then it will be fun to watch.  When I say get going I don’t mean score 6 touchdowns against LSU or Bama because that’s just not happening.  What I mean is get a couple of first downs and shift field position.  Watch out for Darius Slay!

On to the offense where I think the only real question mark is a BIG one and it involves the offensive line.  Tyler Russell can make every throw on the football field IF he has time.  The line will benefit from injuries last year.  Some young guys were thrown into the fire of SEC football allowing them to gain valuable experience.  If MS State can get consistent play from 8 or 9 offensive linemen Tyler Russell will put up stats and wins.

Best case scenario for MSU in 2012: (10-2) – The fact is I cannot in my right mind pick MSU to beat LSU or Bama.  Remember this is the best case scenario!

Worst case scenario for MSU in 2012: (6-6) – It would be a devastating season if MSU lost more than 6 regular season games. 

Prediction for 2012:  (8-4) – Like with my prediction for USM I swayed back and forth between 8 and 9 wins.  I had to go with the lower number until I witness MSU make one of those plays that takes them over the hump.  Biggest game of the year is against Auburn at 11AM on Sept 8.  Win that game and anything is possible!     
Head Coach - Dan Mullen
  
 
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment